Sunday 11 June 2017

Sunday Stitch School - Lesson 25: Y Stitch

Welcome to a penmanship lesson at Sunday Stitch School. Yes, penmanship!

I have not found any good stitches beginning with Y, so what to do?
Why, make a Y, of course!

We will be practicing joined-up writing by stitching a small 'y'!

Write Stitch it like this:
 Make the first part of a Fly Stitch, but at an angle.

Then insert the needle a little bit down and away from the right side edge.
Exit the needle where you want the curly loop.

 Wrap the thread around the needle as you would for a Twisted Chain Stitch.

 Pull through and

 anchor the stitch, a bit tighter than this, though.

You have written a 'y'.

See how I have practiced with blue 'ink' on my Aida sampler.

Homework:
Fill your fountain pen with blue, or green, ink and practice your calligraphy ys.
Or rather thread the needle and start stitching.


18 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Those look like the footprints of a wader, depending on size it could be either the Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs, check coastal mudflats and marshes around the end of summer. It just needed a stitch all it's own.

Queeniepatch said...

Trust the bird expert to see the likeness of footprints! I must agree with you, there is something of a claw print there.
Or when seen upside down, it becomes an 'h' and also resembles a dementor, the fictitious guards of Azkaban Prison, created by JK Rowling in her stories about Harry Potter.

Rachel said...

I love seeing a new stitch invented! Well done!

chitra said...

Interesting invention of new stitch based on a letter. eager to try this stitch

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you. It turns out that an upside down 'y' becomes an 'h'. I didn't see think about that before I saw my own stitching!

Queeniepatch said...

I have always been inspired by your work, how you manipulate stitches, and 'saw' that if you combine a Fly Stitch with a Twisted Chain, you would get a small 'y'. THANK YOU for opening my eyes!

Janie said...

You're having fun with this!
Great idea.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you. Yes, it's fun!

margaret said...

yes I saw bird foot prints too, another new stitch you have come up with

Pamela said...

I agree, very fun.

Queeniepatch said...

Tweet, tweet, chirp, chirp!

Queeniepatch said...

It's fun to do, and quite fun to look at with all its interpretations.

Annet said...

Love these 'written' Y's!

Queeniepatch said...

and upside down they become 'h's!

Anonymous said...

I think that I have missed a few of your blogs, you have been doing some lovely stitches and the quilt is almost finished. The most exciting part of a project is the end result!

Queeniepatch said...

It is indeed exciting, and rewarding, to see the end of a project. There is still a lot to do with the Trinity Green quilt, though.As for the Sunday Stitch School, it is an ongoing project and will I ever see the end? Another revision lesson is coming up.

FlashinScissors said...

Hi Queenie, I'm playing catchup here, after my cold! The cough has finally gone btw!
I love all the stitches you've been sharing with us! And this is another great one. I must make some notes and make a sampler! Thank you for sharing.
Barbara x

Queeniepatch said...

Oh, I am glad you have recovered from your cold. Summer colds are no fun!
Drained of energy it is often hard to catch up after being bedridden. Just take your time.
Next Sunday will be a revision lesson at Sunday Stitch School, and everyone can take a rest!