Sunday 10 September 2017

Sunday Stitch School - Revision: Stitches 31 - 35

Today we are having another revision lesson to sum up the last five stitches.

Click on the headline to see instructions and homework.

31 Braid Stitch
 After many trials and failures I really wanted to master this stitch. Not having got my head round the printed instructions in books, I turned to Mary Corbet's Stitch Video and, hey presto, I got the hang of the stitch in seconds! The power of the moving image, eh!

A hoop/frame and good tension of fabric and thread is essential, and stitching toward me, instead of right to left, made all the difference.

It's a lovely stitch and the birthday card I used it for was much admired by the recipient and the guests at the party.



32 Chinese Cross Stitch

This H-shaped stitch is fast and fun to work and gives a nice pattern both when worked individually or in a staggered row. Here is looks very modern, don't you think?



33 Chinese Knot Stitch 
Also known as The Forbidden Stitch it IS forbiddingly small when worked with a thin thread. It is, however, not forbiddingly difficult, as it is, in principle, just half a French Knot.




34 Japanese Stitch
Although it features in Nihon Shishu (Japanese silk embroidery) I think it looks best as a canvas stitch.



35 Outline Stitch
The key to success with this stitch is checking the twist of the thread.
Z-twists work well with Outline Stitch.
Use Stem Stitch for S-twisted thread.


Homework:
Sunbonnet Sue is on a Geography field trip to Asia!
Use these items:

20 comments:

Rachel said...

Braid Stitch is fun, isn't it!

Pamela said...

Great review. I can hardly wait to see the geography lesson!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I sometimes find it hard to follow written instructions but find videos easier. Looking forward to seeing the finished homework.

Queeniepatch said...

Not only fun, it is addictive, too!

Queeniepatch said...

Study the picture and you will spot where she is going!

Queeniepatch said...

If I can understand a picture in a book, I try to hold the book up to a mirror and see if it looks easier. The best is to see someone else work the stitch, like in a video or by sitting beside someone who is working. You can then also see how the thread behaves, it if tangles easily or gets in the way...
I say it again: The power of the moving image!

Renee said...

Your stitching is all fabulous! Mary Corbet's videos are great, aren't they? I wonder how many stitches you have mastered now.

margaret said...

you have been busy with your homework lots to see here

Julie Fukuda said...

Some of these would look nice on my mola (well, if it was you doing the stitching ... We'll see.....)

Annet said...

I'm sure you find the right place for these stitches on your Sue. Enjoy stitching!

Stitching Lady said...

Oh goodness, I haven't been here such a long time - so much happened on your page.
I like so much when you tell you have been struggling and then lovely stitches are coming out.

Anonymous said...

You have mastered lots of stitches this week, the lettering looks very good!

Janie said...

Yes, your braid stitch is gorgeous.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you've cooked up
with Sue!

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, MC's videos are great!
I have 140 TAST stitches and 35 Sunday Stitch School stitches. Now I have to work the remaining 14 TAST stitches.
Sometimes I wonder how many stitches there are out there, in total!

Queeniepatch said...

It was a fun set of five stitches.

Queeniepatch said...

Why are you so scared of embroidery? Just jump in and prick the owl, the turtle and the butterflies with some stitches!

Queeniepatch said...

I think I did. It was a fun collection of stitches this time.

Queeniepatch said...

Ha, you like when I have been struggling, eh??!! Conquering the Braid Stitch felt like a real victory!

Queeniepatch said...

The Braid Stitch had been such a hurdle before but this time around it was great fun.

Queeniepatch said...

Cooked up?! No she is not in the kitchen, but eating out, sushi, tempura, green tea Icecream... she is in Japan. Head over to the blog post and see.